Friday, September 12, 2008

Catching up with Stimulating Reading

Back at the beginning of the summer I launched another branch of the bookstore fundraising efforts: a project called Stimulating Reading. The idea was that folks could donate their "Stimulus Tax" payment to the bookstore finances, as a way to really stimulate the economy (by opening a new business) and get something back, too. With the help of some designy, techie, and writerly friends, I set up the Stimulating Reading site, where you could choose from an array of rewards, NPR style, for your donations.

Several enthusiastic folks were game, and threw in anywhere from 50 bucks to their entire stimulus check. Their donations didn't reach the critical mass needed to sign a lease or buy inventory, but they did wonders for my morale, and helped that total tick ever higher. I'm inspired by those who gave. My grateful thanks to Andy, Jon, Carl, Brian and Marcela for your generosity and vision.

I knew those stimulus checks were trickling in over the course of the summer, so I've held off on sending folks their rewards in hopes that I could send everything at once. But now I'm ashamed that it's been so long -- those who have had faith in me deserve to see it rewarded. I'm sorting out the list today of who is owed t-shirts, bags, gift cards, signed first editions, etc., and I'll be mailing them out as soon as possible. My apol0gies to those of you who thought I might have scammed you (or that I'm just hopelessly forgetful) -- your rewards are on the way!

That doesn't mean it's too late to jump on the bandwagon, though. Stimulating Reading is still open for business, and now that I've got a system going there should be a smaller delay in you getting what's coming to you. Check out the site for an explanation of the idea and a list of the rewards. And consider doing some "stimulating" of your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment