A few years ago, I attended an event honoring Russell Banks as the New York State author, and Billy Collins as the New York State poet. In Russell Banks' remarks, he said that he felt a bit like a bluebird or a rose, because the bluebird is the state bird and the rose is the state flower, and he was being named the state author. He paused, then said 'And I think that bodes well for our breed'.
I always remember this story with fondness, and I've dwelled on it a lot these past few days. Booksellers are a certain 'breed' of people, born to do it, who take naturally to it. I have spent years in books (15!!!); both as a bookseller in stores, and in my current job as a sales rep for a publisher (which, to answer the question before -or as- it's asked...I am totally keeping!). I can't imagine doing anything else, really.
I found a kindred spirit in that sense. Jessica was born to be a bookseller too, and when I realized that, it made me want to talk to her about a partnership.
So. The 'Jessica and Rebecca' backstory is:
One night I overheard her talking about the bookstore project at an author dinner (quick plug - the dinner was for Michael Greenberg and his wonderful book Hurry Down Sunshine, published by Other Press. It's a literary memoir...so good! Beautifully written! Not always an easy read, but such an important one).
It was a magical night. The setting, the people, the book, the author, the conversation, even the weather agreed with us. And as I thought back on the evening after I got home, I recalled Jessica's passion for her project, and I recalled the kindred feeling I got listening to her.
And I thought to myself, it can't hurt to talk to her, right? I've always been too chicken to go the bookstore route on my own but the thought of partnering with THE RIGHT PERSON was truly appealing. So talk we did. We set up a coffee date, and another, then another. We continued to talk more and share more, and inch closer and closer to our big decision, which we just made a few weeks ago, in perfect timing for the party.
And WOAH. What a fantastic party that was. Talking about it with people over the past few days, I am hearing things like 'The community support for this is amazing. I have never seen anything like it'. And another person will chime in and say 'Me neither'. Or, 'Hearing all this just gave me shivers'.
Ooh! And someone just emailed me and said (after reading the NYT piece) 'WOW--that story just brought tears to my eyes!'
So, kudos to the amazing community of people in Fort Greene, who rallied together for a bookstore. I am in awe of you and am so glad, and excited, to be a part of this.
Friday, September 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment